After caring for it for about a week I noticed it was not getting any better and actually looked worse. It was about half an inch long and pretty deep. Now there were green booger type things coming out of it. I decided it was time to bring her to Kaiser. It looked super infected and I thought there might be some gravel from the parking lot in there.
The on-call doctor took one look at it and said "the green means its healing". I don't know what med-school she went too, but every time I have gotten cut as a kid (which is A LOT!) I NEVER had green boogers coming out of any of my owies. The nurses re-cleaned it and gave us some stronger goo to use for the next week. We did and it still was hurting her like crazy. Every time she would bump it or brush it on something she would start crying all over again.
We kept with the goo for another 2 weeks, meanwhile keeping an eye on it. Finally last week (3 weeks after the fall) I looked and it still looked bad. Now it was a huge black lump and STILL was super painful for her. I tried to dig in there and see if there was gravel but she wouldn't let me do it for very long and I really couldn't see anything without hurting her.
I called Kaiser again and saw our regular Pediatrician last Wednesday. I asked Sal to come with me in case we needed to hold her down or something. Her Doctor took a look at it and said "I'll be right back" and left the room. 10 minutes later she came back and said she just got off the phone with Plastic Surgery and her recommendation was to go get an x-ray. I found this ridiculous and pointed out to her that there was obviously something in there and can we just hold her down and have her cut it out. She said, an x-ray was a better idea. (She must have gone to that same med school as the first doctor). Then she was going to refer the results to Plastic Surgery and have them call us for an appointment next week.
We did the stupid x-ray and they never called. I had to call them Friday afternoon to make an appointment for NEXT Thursday. That's another 6 days this poor girl has to deal with this owie. I have been keeping a close eye on her owie all day today and finally after bath tonight, something looked different. I decided to have Nathan distract her and grab the tweezers. I was able to FINALLY, FINALLY get (what I thought was gravel) out of there. Turns out it was a fairly large rock. When I pulled it out, I swear it was a gaping hole in her hand. I didn't see an end, just bottomless pit. It was pretty gross, but must have felt wonderful to get that thing out!
Nathan gets really woozy with blood and almost threw up. He got really pale, stomach achey and had to sit in front of the toilet for about 20 minutes with a Sprite until he felt better.
So, to sum it up, I hate Kaiser. Plastic Surgery Department is a joke. Cheyanne is finally on her way to healing this never ending owie and we evaded puke this time.
This picture doesn't do it justice - the camera kept going blurry.
The Monstrosity
(If you don't think it looks big, imagine that thing in a tiny 2 year old's hand for almost a month!)
Yikes! May be you need to find
ReplyDeleteanother dr. for the kids......