There were no tears (except from Mommy) on the first day of school. Cheyanne walked in like she owned the place. She said "Hi Miss Sherry" and immediately grabbed her name tag and went over to wash her hands with no reminder like she has been doing this her whole life. Nothing new. She's confident, knows who she is and is the best at being her. I admire it. She's amazing.
Nathan was very good as well. He had the 'school' routine down and since the parents were asked to stay the first 20 minutes he was just fine. Sal unfortunately had to leave to go to work, but Mommy and Austin were there! Nathan had a small project to do and took a picture with Mommy & Austin. Then we said good bye. Then came the water works. He was SO ready and SO grown up I just couldn't help it. My baby is no longer a baby and never will be again.
I know, I know "its just Kindergarten, who cares?". Well actually it IS just Kinder but this signifies a whole new chapter in my life as a mom. Nathan is in school from 8:20 - 2:30 everyday. He's gone the majority of every day and that in and of itself is very strange. I have had this great little buddy for the past 5 years with me at *almost* all times and suddenly I realized I don't even know what he's really doing all day. I know their schedule in the class but I won't know if he gets in trouble, how he treats his friends, if someone was mean to him or visa-versa. He has this little life all of a sudden and I am not a part of it. I just have to pray and hope that whatever values and morals I've taught him in the last 5 years will stick when its most important. Oh and this is not to mention all the new school functions and extras we need to attend.
Its all okay and I know these are great things. I am proud of him and with the bits and pieces he's told me so far I am just bursting with pride. He is and always has been (since the day he was born) fiercely independent but I'm allowed to be a little sad. Plus this is NOTHING to what Austin starting Kindergarten will do to me! Just wait. Bring on the crazy lady surrounded by little dogs!
Looking back at the last 5 1/2 years it has been a whirlwind. Two kids in two years, a big move to a new city/area we knew not a soul and nothing about where we were. Dogs, cats, and even another baby. Its been crazy to say the least! Even though I was ready to just scream some days, my only regret for the past 5 years is not being as patient as I could have been. That means when they are spilling their yogurt to finger paint in it or singing the same annoying song over and over its okay. These kids are just so darn precious and so darn perfect. You as a parent only have this itty bitty amount of time with them before they are grown up and giving you the finger when you make them angry. You need to cherish every single moment because before you can even blink they are 5 years older and don't even need you to give them a kiss goodbye.
| The new backpack |
| Totally Nathan's idea for this pic! |
| Miss Pre-K and her Daddy |
No comments:
Post a Comment