Monday, February 14

And Just Like That

While eating lunch and discussing Nathan's day at school. 

Me: "So, who did you play with today?"
Nathan: "No one" (usual statement)
Me: "No one at all?  What about Devon?"
Nathan: "Nope. Not Devon."
Me: (totally surprised, because we have this conversation all the time and the answer is always yes - trying to act nonchalant) "Oh, why not?"
Nathan: "I'm not his friend anymore. He's going to make me mean."

I have been losing sleep over his friendship with this boy and what to do, or not do to.  What to say to Nathan, how much to say, when to bite my tongue.  How do I broach the subject of bullies, how to explain certain things like special needs children, punks, sticking up for yourself and friends, peer pressure, following the crowd ETC ETC ETC! 
And with that one profound statement from a 5 year old, my constant stress over the past week had completely vanished.  I'd like to take credit, but honestly I think he is the one who is due.  Nathan is very intuitive and bright and came to that conclusion himself.  I couldn't have been prouder of my little boy at that very moment.

1 comment:

  1. YAYYY NATHAN!!! that kid makes parenting look easy ... at least in this instance. :)

    ReplyDelete