Wednesday, October 28

Models Inc. NO!

Models Inc. called for another meeting with me. Only me, no kids and it was on a Tuesday at noon. Thank goodness my sister was available to babysit, or there would have been no meeting.
Basically it was an information meeting. Information about how a Talent Agency works, who their big clients are and the industry.

We have decided NOT to proceed with this. Here's why:
  • Almost all the audition are in SF. That is an hour drive from my house.
  • You can only bring the auditioning child. No siblings. Where am I going to find a babysitter at short notice during the middle of the day?
  • Most shoots can last up to 5 hours. 5 hours in a small stuffy studio with a small child bored to death? Uh, no.
  • They only give you one day notice of when and where you need to be. Per contract if you don't show up, you get charged. I babysit Carly 2 days a week. That is NOT ample time for me to cancel on her mom (who I have a contract with anyway).
  • For this particular agency, you HAVE to start a portfolio. The book itself to start the portfolio is $100. Each. I'd have to buy 2.
  • Again for this particular agency, they require you to start your portfolio with copies of your head shots. You can only use their specified photographers and a shoot is about $350. Each.
  • If the child makes over $600/year they have to file an income tax return. Too much hassle.

We decided this is not us. Its too much of a commitment and too disruptive to our days. We love being together (Nathan, Shy and I) during the days. I/we would hate to have to leave one of them with a babysitter all day once a week or so. Plus, with me babysitting Carly I can't drop everything at a moments notice to drive to SF for the day.

Also with baby #3 on the way. That would mean I'd be leaving my newborn with a babysitter while I brought a big kid off to an audition. No way in hell.

We feel honored that they would even want our kids to work for them. But for now, the park just seems more fun.

1 comment:

  1. dude, why do i keep forgetting to check your blog??? anyway, sorry to hear about the disappointing news from the modeling agency. i kinda figured that's how it works... they say, 'YES, YOUR KID IS PERFECT!! LET'S SIGN A DEAL!!... bytheway,yougottapayacraploadofmoney first". it seems like only rich people (not necessarily the people with the cutest kids) get to do the modeling/acting thing. you have to plan your life around it, be able to drop everything for it... eh, not worth it. but it was awesome that your kids had a shot at it!

    ReplyDelete